Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Ann!!

Today is a special day. Today is my mother-in-law's 70th birthday.

Sorry Ann, was that a secret? It shouldn't be. She's the youngest 70 year old I know.

I thought in honor of this special day I would pay a small tribute to this special lady.

I remember the first time I met Ann. I was a little nervous. Todd and I had been dating just a couple of weeks I think. I remember walking to the door of her home thinking about what someone had once told me. They had told me that you can tell a lot about a man by how he treats his mother. That how he treats her is how he will treat you.

Todd introduced me to his Mom and my nervousness evaporated. Talking with her was easy and comfortable. She made me feel so welcome in her home. She still does!

Watching Todd interact with his Mom made me laugh. They talked and joked so easily with each other. I could tell that he had so much respect and love for her. So this is the woman who raised this man! Yesssssss!!!!

For the first many years of Todd's and my relationship Ann's home was the meeting place for family get togethers. I always looked forward to going to her home. Sitting in front of the fireplace, eating good food, talking and laughing together. I was sad when she sold that house. There were a lot of good memories there.

Our kids love their Mom-Mom. She makes special time for each grandchild (she's got 13 now) on their birthday. She comes up and takes them out for lunch and shopping. Just this past week she took Kyle out. He asked every day for a week, "When is my date with Mom-Mom? Is it here yet?"

Just a few months ago she and Al and Uncle Blair all came over to our house to care for the kids so Todd and I could get away for the weekend. That really meant a lot to me. It meant a lot to Todd. The kids had a blast being spoiled all weekend long. When they left Jake cried for a few days. He had to get used to not being carried around all day long :)

This past Mother's Day my sisters and I had our sorta annual Mother's Day brunch. We invite our Moms and friends who are sorta like our Moms. Anyway this is a picture of Ann and I. I think it is like one of the only pictures I have of just her and I after all these years.


Anyway, I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Ann! You are a wonderful Mother and Mom-Mom and I love you. I'm so glad you are my husband's Mom. Thank you for all you do for your family. I hope I'm as "young" as you are when I'm 70. I hope you have a wonderful day!!

He, he, he! Just you wait till this weekend!

No comments: