Saturday, October 3, 2009

Who let the Woof-oo out? Who... who,who, who?

Sooo... this morning I'm talking on the phone while the kids are all sweetly watching tv and playing down in the playroom.

Riiiiiiiiiiight!

All of a sudden my spidey senses started tingling... ok really I just looked up and noticed that the front door was wide open. That can't be good.

I realize that since no one is standing at the open door that the guilty party must have stepped over the threshold and made their (Jake's) escape.

I step out onto the front step and look down the sidewalk to see Jake running at top toddler speed (you know .00001 miles per hour) away from our house. For those of you who have seen Jake run: picture arms swinging to one side as his legs swing out to the other side!

I start to run after him noticing that my chest is bouncing quite painfully as I run. Why I'm still in my jammies with... ahem... no brassier on!!!! Heavens, what if the neighbors see?!

I scoop him up into my arms to shield my untethered chest from the neighborhood and he bursts into tears, "Woof-ooo!" He is leaning out of my arms and reaching with his arms towards... what, what did you just say? "Woof-ooo," he wails again!

I run to the house, "Penny? Penny? Where are you girl?" Oh blast it all! He let the dog out!

Just an aside here. In the past whenever Penny has gotten out she runs freely all over the neighborhood for a good 20-30 minutes. Sometimes seen, sometimes unseen. NEVER catchable till she is ready to come back.

I've got to find her quick! Where is my sweatshirt? (Note that the dog might be hit by a car and lying in the street but vanity still takes precedence here.) Where is Penny's leash? Got it!

I yell for Julianna to keep an eye on Jake, fling open the door and... THERE SHE IS! SITTING ON THE FRONT STEP WAGGING HER TAIL! Don't make any sudden movements and make her run off again!

"Hi girl, come here Penny!" Then I watch totally astonished as she sheepishly wiggles back into the house.

Unbelievable!

Mindy and Shawn, did you teach her to obey while we were in Maine? Because in the almost 3 years that we've had her this is a first. I mean it is so amazing that I am EVEN BLOGGING about it!

So that was my morning! How's yours going?

2 comments:

Tiercy said...

ha ha! what a funny story. I can't wait to see Jake run...sounds too cute!

Paige said...

Oops!! Sorry I distracted you from the kiddos. I thought we were having quite a fun conversation. Penny, you did a good thing today! Thank you.