Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Running update

Thanksgiving morning I ran in the Frederick Way Station 5K Turkey Trot. I ran with my sister Meredith and our running buddy Ann.

We woke up to down pouring rain and I thought, "Hmmm, 35 degrees and pouring down rain... NO WAY!" I got up anyway because I had this thing about not being the one to opt out. Maybe one of them would and then I would just agree with them that it was a better idea to stay in and be warm and sip coffee.

I got a text at about 7:30 that said, "We are still running, U???" I looked outside... still pouring.

So I put on my brave face and said that I was still in if they were.

We got to the starting line and it was just misting. I felt great and a little frisky as we started to run. Then out of nowhere the song Rhythm of Love by the Great White T's started playing in my head. So now I'm a human iPod? Whatever works.

After a bit I asked Meredith if we had gone a mile yet. She looked at me strangely and told me that we passed it a while ago and were at 1.4.

Hey! That's like almost halfway! I start to speed up a little.
At mile 2 she looks at me and tells me that I'm fast for me today. I smile and go a bit faster.

We take the last right turn and the finish line is just up ahead. Still frisky. I glance at her and say, "What you got left?" She responds by turning on her afterburners. I hang with her as best as I can. I'm laughing and running so hard that I think I just might throw up as I cross the finish. 29:52 she finished 4 seconds ahead of me 29:48

That's a new PR for me!!
Hmmm, what will it take for me to feel that good doing 26.2?

Now I've got a few weeks to relax before the training for Big Sur begins!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

You forgot to add that Garmin said our last 0.1 mile was at a 7:14 pace!

Just under 4 weeks before training begins... 2011 is the year of Big Sur... 2012 is the year of Disney!!! Which are you more excited for?

Tiercy said...

yay for you!! I am so jealous. I have been dealing with a stupid foot for 3 months now. Haven't been able to run and it's killing me!