Sunday, May 3, 2009

Running in the Rain, Just Running in the Rain

Remember yesterday? I was whining and complaining about a little rain? Well, we got rain!
Here I am right before the race at 5:15am!! Notice the tilted picture? That's because Todd was still in bed and barely even sitting up.


Here is my own personal cheering section:
(note the ground is still dry)

Todd said that while the kids were waiting for me they were watching all the runners go by and started saying things like, "Poor Mommy! She's going to come in last!" He had to reassure them that it was great for ANYONE to just finish and that I was most certainly NOT going to be last!

When I got close to where they were waiting for me I saw them first. I got so choked with emotion (I can't believe I'm doing this! There is my wonderful family who loves me enough to stand in the rain to cheer me on!) that I literally couldn't speak. I wanted to call out to them but had to compose myself first. When they finally saw me I was right in front of them. All that waiting for a few seconds to see and cheer me on.

And now the ground is wet! This is me at mile 9.5! Not too bad, huh?



At around mile 6 my friend Lynde had turned to me and asked if it was just her or did the mile markers seem to be coming up fast? I agreed! I felt so good. Almost like I was flying! Then the rain started at mile 7. After the initial shock of the rain washing sweat into my eyes and making them burn it really was refreshing!
Does the rain make my butt look big?
My friend Lynde is in pink and her friend Becki is in the grey shirt. They were smart and wore hats. Note to self: in the future if rain is in the forecast... wear a hat!!!


At home with Kyle showing off my medal:

Let the knee icing begin!

All in all I was really pleased with my time 2:24:18 I averaged an 11min mile. Not fast, but considering I ran the whole way, not too bad either.
And now... now I have just finished registering Todd and I for the 1/2 Marathon in Maine on September 19th.
Maine here we come!!
Oh yeah, when will my knees be ready to run again?

4 comments:

beth said...

Congratulations, Michelle

A wonderful accomplishment, especially since you did it in conditions that you hadn't planned for. Now I know that you will be coming to Maine in the fall and that is fabulous. I am so looking forward to seeing you and family here.

I hope Todd has recovered and that all is OK with him. So sorry you missed Emilie and the big poetry event in DC last week. The glow lingers on for her.

Take care and love to all.

Beth

Emilie said...

I'll say it again! HOOOO-RAY!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Your accomplishment is incredibly inspiring. You look great and it was so sweet that your family will sit through the rain for just a glimspe of you. Good luck to you and Todd for your Sept. 1/2 marathon in Maine. I look forward to seeing you soon. I'll be up that way May 30th to watch Nate for Jenny, see you then.

Steve said...

The answer to your question is no.

Great job on your time. Can you believe you ran for 2 and a half hours straight.

Next year after running 2 halfs you won't want to settle...it's gonna be a full.